WESTERN BALKANS – Project promotes reconciliation, cooperation and better understanding in the region by bringing together 24 young people, 18-30 year-old, from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Serbia. They will spend nine days together learning how to use film in educative and activist purpose, learn about and discuss joint Balkan traditions and shared and troubled past, present and future, and jointly make a short film about their common experiences. The project is supported by RYCO within its first Open Call for Project Proposals.
The flux of the Project is a 9-day training course (TC) with 24 young participants (4 from each of the above mentioned RYCO Contracting Parties); throughout the training, they will master basic movie making techniques such as operating a video camera, elementary scriptwriting, shooting, directing and video editing, and be educated on the possibilities of using film as a means of youth activism in promoting reconciliation and combating prejudices and stereotypes. They will also have extensive set of screenings, lectures, talks and discussions, aimed at providing them with a fuller picture of the Balkan region, its common historical and social traditions, its shared past, friendly and reconciliatory efforts, all of which is currently being overlooked by the predominant discourse of hostility fostered by the main-stream media and politicians, and absent from their textbooks and curricula.
TC host: The Center for Social and Economic Development (Centar za društveno ekonomski razvoj, CDER).
Working language: English
Duration: 22 September 2018 (arriving of the participants) – 30 September 2018 (departure of the participants) – 9 days included travel days; location: Banja Koviljaca.
Application deadline: 6 August 2018
- to be 18-30 old;
- to be committed to improving good relations and intercultural understanding of the WB region;
- to be dedicated to promoting intercultural dialogue and tolerance and combat hate speech, negative stereotypes and prejudice among people in the WB region;
- to be willing to communicate to young people from the WB region about the existing problems and possibilities to for its resolution;
- to have some knowledge and background in – or to be willing to learn about – history, culture and art of the WB;
- to be creative and interested in cinematography;
- to be committed in using the power of art – film in particular – in educative and promotive purposes;
- to be interested in youth policy on local and region level;
- to be versed in English.
Strong preference will be given to young people who did not have any opportunity to travel and participate in any project so far.
If you are from Albania, please contact the partners:
If you are from Bosnia and Herzegovina, please contact the partners:
If you are from Macedonia:
If you are from Montenegro, please contact the partners:
If you are from Serbia, please contact the partners: