Sarajevo – In Sarajevo, we recently organized the inaugural YPS MeetUp event, bringing together our colleagues, as well as representatives from non-governmental organizations and international institutions who share a common vision of creating a peaceful and secure environment for young people.
The primary focus of this gathering was to introduce and delve into the Youth, Peace, and Security (YPS) Agenda, a framework designed to empower and protect young individuals. During the event, we explored various avenues of potential collaboration to work collectively towards this goal. Looking ahead, the Regional Youth Cooperation Office (RYCO) and our partners from umbrella youth organizations will be engaging in several weeks of intensive efforts. This will involve not only enhancing our capacities in the field of YPS but also strategizing for local initiatives in the foreseeable future. Additionally, we will be conducting an extensive mapping exercise to identify existing practices and initiatives within this domain.
Some of the key takeaways from our meeting have shaped our agenda for the upcoming period:
- Translation and Harmonization of Terminology: We recognize the importance of ensuring that the language and terminology used in the YPS framework are universally understood and harmonized. This will facilitate effective communication and collaboration among stakeholders.
- Building Understanding of the YPS Agenda among Key Stakeholders: To effectively implement the YPS Agenda, it’s crucial that key stakeholders, including government bodies, non-governmental organizations, and community leaders, have a comprehensive understanding of its principles and objectives.
- Promotion of the YPS Agenda among Young People: Engaging and informing young individuals about the YPS Agenda is fundamental. Empowering them with knowledge and encouraging their active participation is vital for the success of this initiative.
- Alignment of Approaches at the Local and Regional Levels: A cohesive approach is imperative for the successful implementation of the YPS Agenda. Ensuring that local, national, and regional strategies are aligned will result in a more effective and impactful initiative.
- Inclusion of the YPS Agenda in the Berlin Process Forums: Integrating the YPS Agenda into the discussions and forums associated with the Berlin Process is a strategic step to garner greater support and visibility for the cause on a broader scale.
In conclusion, the first YPS MeetUp event in Sarajevo has set the stage for a promising future, where collaboration and commitment will pave the way for a more peaceful and secure environment for young people. As we move forward, our dedication to promoting the YPS Agenda will serve as the cornerstone of our efforts, ensuring that young individuals across the region benefit from a safer and more prosperous future.